What is different with Python ?

Philippe C. Martin philippe at philippecmartin.com
Sun Jun 12 06:54:26 EDT 2005

I guess because I have mostly worked with embedded systems and that,
although I have always tried to put abstraction layers between my
applications and the hardware, some constraints still remain at the
application level: (memory, determinism, re-entrance,...). You will notice
that 99% of the embedded systems with realtime constaints use assembly,
C/C++, or ADA.

I agree with you and Peter though that these issues need not be treated on a
first course. Yet, and depending on the ultimate goal (John spoke of IT
versus CS) some of the newly trained folks should know about it. We could
not enjoy Python if no one were here to implement its VM, I have not looked
at the code, but I gather it is fairly complex and does require an amount
of "low level" skills.

Regards,

Philippe