What language to manipulate text files

Jim jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Mon Jun 13 07:50:02 EDT 2005

Roose wrote:
> Why do people keep asking what language to use for certain things in the
> Python newsgroup?  Obviously the answer is going to biased.
>
> Not that it's a bad thing because I love Python, but it doesn't make sense
> if you honestly want an objective opinion.

It will, however, have the side-effect of helping people who google for
it tomorrow.  I've often found a several months old answer that people
on a group had taken the trouble of patiently answering, which was a
big help to me.  In this case I can imagine a person who has heard that
Python is in a class of languages like Perl and Ruby, and who googles
around with some keywords to get some idea of whether it can solve
their problem.

Jim