MoinMoin WikiName and python regexes

Ara.T.Howard Ara.T.Howard at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 8 15:31:40 EDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Ara.T.Howard" <Ara.T.Howard at noaa.gov> wrote in message
> news:Pine.LNX.4.62.0506080907300.18046 at harp.ngdc.noaa.gov...
>> i'm trying to fix a bug in MoinMoin whereby
>
> A 'bug' is a discrepancy between promise (specification) and perfomance
> (implementation).  Have you really found such -- does MoinMoin not follow
> the Wiki standard -- or are you just trying to customize MoinMoin to your
> different specification.

well, according to the specification at

   http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/WikiName?highlight=%28wikiname%29

ThisIsAWikiName

there seems to be general agreement here

   http://wikka.jsnx.com/WikiName
   http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/WikiWord

though not a wikis agree.

in moinmoin others have noted the inconsistency and filed a bug as noted in

   http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinBugs/AllCapsInWikiName?highlight=%28wikiname%29

the problem being that the specification is simply vague here and does not
specifically prohibit AWikiName.

>>   WordsWithTwoCapsInARowLike
>>                     ^^
>> do not become WikiNames.
>
> Would your proposed change to make the above into an Wiki name also make
> all-cap sequences like NATO, FTP, and API into WikiNames

it wouldn't since

   NATO !~  /^([A-Z]+[a-z]+){2,}$/
   FTP !~  /^([A-Z]+[a-z]+){2,}$/
   API !~  /^([A-Z]+[a-z]+){2,}$/

the pattern is

   word = one, or more, upper case letters followed by one, or more, lower case
          letters

   wikiword = at least two words together

so

   FOobar is not a link

but

   AFooBar is

> If WikiNum, appearing one place, were also mistyped as WikeNUm (from holding
> down the shift key too long, which I do occasionally), should the latter
> become a separate WikiName?  I can certainly understand why the Wike
> designers might have answered both questions 'No."

perhaps - it's just inconsistent the way it is now.

cheers.

-a