odbc and python

Fri Jun 3 13:00:17 EDT 2005

MM wrote:
> Are there any other odbc packages other than the win32all and mxodbc
> ones? The win32all odbc.pyd can't access table structure info like
> SQLColumns, and mxobdc requires a commercial license which is
> unjustifiable for this tiny project. Any other OS alternatives for
> win32?. Thanks.

The mxODBC package contains a lot of grunt work making access to
metadata work smoothly for many targets.  I never found the license
too expensive for the work (and thought) that it saved me.  If you
are targeting a single DBMS, or already have a strong understanding
of your DB's schema, some other solution may do you as well. I'd be
careful you don't spend far more effort getting corner cases to work
right with a cobbled-together system than you'll save by using mxODBC.

I am not connected to mxODBC other than as a very satisfied customer.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org