What is different with Python ?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Jun 13 12:50:37 EDT 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 12:55 am, Andrea Griffini wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:22:28 -0400, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>
> >How far down do you have to go?  What makes bytes of memory, data busses,
> >and CPUs the right level of abstraction?
>
> They're things that can be IMO genuinely accept
> as "obvious".

Hah!

Try explaining them to my non-programmer mother or
my 9-year-old son. On the other hand, telling them that
Python attaches a label (or name) to an object (which can
be "anything") was a cinch.  Both want to program, but
are currently still struggling with basic concepts.

Interestingly, my son had no problem at all with the "name"
versus "variable" distinction -- that seems to be a case where
my C experience caused me problems, but it's a non-issue
coming from a tabula rasa perspective.