Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Jul 31 01:50:04 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The choice is GUI toolkits is largely seperate from
>>> Python. Consider that they are just bindings to libraries that
>>> are developed completely seperate of the language. GUI is should
>>> be seperate from the language, and thus not bound to same
>>> expectations and desires as elements of the language itself.
>>
>> I disagree.  A modern language must provide a convenient and
>> well-embedded way to write GUI applications.
>
> [...]
>
> The tools for writing GUI applications belong in a library, not
> the langauge.

None of us has talked about changing syntax.  However, the standard
library is part of the language unless you're really very petty.

>> This is not a sign of decadence, but a very good promotional
>> argument.
>
> But it's not required for the language to succeed.

Today it is (except for very special-purpose languages).

> C and C++ are both doing very well without your a well-embedded
> way to write GUI applications.

I don't think that much money is made with new C programs.  Almost
all money with C++ is made with VC which has been having a GUI
toolkit in its standard library right from the beginning.  And most
money is made with VB AFAIK.

> However, you can get compilers for both that come bundled with a
> good GUI library. Could it be that that's what you really want -
> someone to distribute Python bundled with an enterprise-class GUI
> library and IDE?

Well, a nice thing to have, but besides my point.

We do have a standard library with a robust GUI package, and a
standard distribution with a so-called IDE.  What I really want is a
better GUI included into the standard library.

>> However, in my opinion we don't need yet another binding so thin
>> that C or C++ is shining through, but a modern replacement for
>> Tkinter with its Pythonic way of thinking.
>
> I don't particularly like Tkinter, but it seems to me that it's
> pretty much won. It seems to be installed on every desktop
> platform along with Python. That means that if I want to
> distribute GUI apps, I'm going to cause the least headache for my
> end users by writing them in Tkinter.

A "replacement for Tkinter" would have the same properties,
otherwise it wouldn't be a replacement.

Tschö,
Torsten.