Extending and embedding Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jul 11 18:50:53 EDT 2005

Tommy Nordgren wrote:
> In order to correctly compile and link my Application, I need a OS
> independent way to find compiler options and linker options necessary to
> find header files and libraries. What methods should I use from
> DistUtils for this purpose.

I don't think distutils supports linking applications that embed
Python, yet. It might be possible to write a distutils command for
that purpose, but I'd advise against that.

Instead, you should integrate the Python embedding into the build
process you alread have (e.g. make, shell scripts, whatever). You
can simplify the process by having a Python script compute all
the necessary parameters. You find the configuration-specific
information in distutils.sysconfig.

HTH,
Martin