Extending and embedding Python

Tommy Nordgren tommy.nordgren at chello.se
Mon Jul 11 17:08:21 EDT 2005

I want to write an application that embeds and extends (at least) the
Python and Perl interpreters. Now i want to find as much as possible
about the Python tools used for extending and embedding Python.
To be more specific: My app should:
1. Parse an input file.
2. Call a script in some scripting language, to generate an output file,
for example in C++.

For task 2 I need to call an embedded interpreter, and also provide call
backs from the scripting language to C++, in order to read global
information collected during parsing.

In order to correctly compile and link my Application, I need a OS
independent way to find compiler options and linker options necessary to
find header files and libraries. What methods should I use from
DistUtils for this purpose.

I also need to find some way to verify that linker options necessary for
embedding Perl is not incompatible with linking options for embedding
Python.

Stockholm July 11, 2005
Tommy Nordgren