What are the other options against Zope?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Jul 2 23:13:13 EDT 2005

On Saturday 02 July 2005 04:26 pm, phil wrote:
> > A rather object-oriented system for managing and serving web
> > applications and data (using object inheritance for common behavior,
> > etc.) This makes Zope a toolkit, not an end application itself.
>
> So that would make it Apache, with a Python CGI.

No.  No object tree there --- except the filesystem, which is a braindead
object tree, so doesn't really count.  It is a *little* like a Macintosh
filesystem, which has metadata stored for each file.

> Oh wait, Apache has
> a Python CGI which can access Data bases and send objects to the client.

Yes, you could use that to re-write everything that Zope does
for you.  Why would you want to?

However, many people do apparently do this all the time.

Of course, Zope is by no means the only way to create a site,
and may not be appropriate for everybody. But it is darned
useful.

> A web application is you deliver am html page and the user fills
> in some forms, then submits the form, which is then validated
> and another form is delivered. Right?  Cool idea, IBM had that in
> 1975 it was called CICS.

This is true in the same sense that Python is unnecessary
because all programs can be written in assembler.  Or machine
code for that matter.  Entered by flipping switches, even -- throw
away that keyboard.

I have actually seen this done, BTW.  Even though I'm theoretically
too young. ;-)

> I once asked my son-in-law tech support guy what is the Windows
> registry, what does it do?  He thought for a while and said
> "Think of it as the soul of the machine".  So I thought about it
> as the soul of the machine for a while, then I asked;
> "You don't know, do you", and he said "No."

I did already post a serious reply, but now I'm afraid I've been
trolled.  :-P

I was assuming you actually wanted to know what Zope was.

Yes, it is a funny story, though. ;-)