all possible combinations

Thu Jul 14 08:31:13 EDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:49:05 +1000, John Machin wrote:

> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
>
> Both of you please google("define: combination")

Combination: "a coordinated sequence of chess moves".

"An option position that is effected by either a purchase of two long
positions or two short positions. The investor purchases a call and a put
(or sells a call and a put) with different expiration dates and/or
different strike prices."

Or perhaps "in Scheme, a function call, consisting of a function name and
arguments written within parentheses."

Yes, mathematically the definition of combination includes that order does
not matter. But that certainly isn't the case in common English. Now,
John, given the tone of the posts you are complaining about, do you think
I was using combination in the precise mathematical sense, or the common
English sense?

(Hint: the very first definition Google finds is "a collection of things
that have been combined; an assemblage of separate parts or qualities ".
Not a word there about order mattering or not.)

--
Steven.