distutils is able to handle...

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 5 09:30:59 EDT 2005

> Hello
>
> I work on an finite element framework and Python bindings have been
> developped.
> Actually, we use Boost.Build as build system but we would like to change
> it.
>
> We have two kinds of problems. First, the framework is used for generate
> pure C++ applications with static libraries ; second, the framework have
> some dependencies to fortran projects.
> Then, in order to know if Distutils can be use in our case, I would like
> to know if :
> - Can distutil compile static C/C++ libraries ?
> - Can distutil compile C/C++ applications ?
> - Can distutil manage fortran compiler and compile fortran libraries and
> applications ?
>
> Thank for your answers

I don't think distutils can handle all these, especially the last one,
so I doubt it's the right tool in your case. I would suggest SCons
(http://www.scons.org/), a modern make/automake/autoconf replacement
that uses python for its configuration files instead of yet another
cryptic half-baked mini-language or XML.

George