Wheel-reinvention with Python

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Sun Jul 31 19:42:30 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I can put up a Tk gui in about 5 lines of code from a stock Python
> distro without having to install anything additional.  How do I do
> that with wxPython?

You can try it here, without installing the package python-tk.  And since
you need to install python-tk, there's no problem at all installing package
wxPython to achieve the same.  Or kdebindings-python and using pyQt.  Or
installing another RPM package -- using Apt, so you don't have to worry
about dependencies -- with a different toolkit.

I've seen SuSE, Mandriva and Conectiva with separate packages for TKinter.
I believe there are more.  Unless, of course, you're first installing a
personalized Python -- and loosing this "advantage".

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>