httplib/HTTPS Post Problem

michaelparkin at gmail.com michaelparkin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 09:29:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

Sorry to post what might seem like a trivial problem here, but its
driving me mad!

I have a simple https client that uses httplib to post data to a web
server.

When I post over http & https using curl the data is recieved by the
web server with no problems.

When I post using my python client the headers get there, but the body
of the message does not.

My code is pretty standard and has the format:

httplib.HTTPSConnection.debuglevel = 1
connection = httplib.HTTPSConnection(host_name, key_file = key,
cert_file = cert)
connection.putrequest("POST", path)
connection.putheader("Content-Length", str(len(body)))

...(some more headers)...

connection.endheaders()
connection.send(body)

response = connection.getresponse()
connection.close()

(some code has been removed for clarity)..

I can see in the debug messages the body getting sent, but nothing
arrives at
the server...

I think I would understand whats going on better if I knew how Python
uses the
underlying socket - does it

a) open the socket, send the header & body together or
b) send the header, wait, then send the body?

I think the answer to this question solve my problem - can anyone help?

Thanks.

p.s. I'm using Python 2.3.3 [GCC 3.3.3 (SuseLinx)]