question about introspection using inspect module

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:51:28 EDT 2005

Benjamin Rutt wrote:

> Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I certainly don't want to discourage you from learning about python
>> introspection, it's one of the most fun aspects of the language.  But just
>> as an FYI, the pydoc system already does much of what you have in mind, at
>> least if I'm reading your description correctly:
>>
>> planck[/tmp]> pydoc -p 12345
>> pydoc server ready at http://localhost:12345/
>
> thanks, I'm aware of that actually, and seeing all the information
> available there was inspiring to me.

OK, you never know :)

> what I am actually trying to do is to build a database of Python
> modules.  so then later, I can write a tool in my favorite editor
> (Emacs) to invoke some forms of completion against this database
> (e.g. os.remov<TAB> or socket.<TAB> to see a list of all socket module
> definitions).

well, I have no idea if this will be of any use, but it might:

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

I use their speedbar quite a bit, but it sounds from the description like they
have some other fancier tools.  I'd be quite curious to know if they play
nicely with python (they mention C++ explicitly), and how much value they add.
Let me know if you are familiar with them, or if you end up investigating
these further.

Cheers,