multiple inheritance super()

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jul 28 10:05:22 EDT 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld  <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> wrote:
>Michele Simionato wrote:
>>  was I
>> going to design a new language
>> I would implement it *without* multiple inheritance).

That way lies Java. The number of times I've wished an interface
were actually a mixin.... *shudder*

>Multiple inheritance can be very useful if not used in an unresponsible way.

Exactly. I think the correct approach is to regard multiple
inheritence as a very advanced OO topic, leave it out of tutorials as
much as possible, and when finally introduced reinforce the idea that
it should be used only with caution. Speaking as someone who has used
it to commit monstrosities in C++ which I have grown to regret.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"