Earthquake Forecasting Program July 11, 2005

edgrsprj edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 00:42:12 EDT 2005

"Hank Oredson" <horedson at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:6DhBe.3077$dU3.691 at newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> I am looking for the SOURCE of the data, that is, where did
> YOU get the data from, so that I may obtain my own datasets.

> In particular I am interested in the EM dataset.

July 14, 2005

Hi Hank,

       I have another important project that I need to focus on at the
moment and unfortunately cannot yet spend too much time on this one.  The
purpose of the original post was simply to determine if there were any
people interested in this proposed project.  And your responses and others
indicate that there are.

       Detailed information regarding the forecasting program can be found
on the following Web page:

http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/301.html

       Demonstration versions of the data files you are interested in plus
an early, fully operational version of the Perl language data processing
program itself can be found in the following files:

http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/311.zip
http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/312.zip
http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/313.zip

       That program contains the following equations which do most of the
important work:

$londiff = 2**(1 + (abs($dblonval - $testlonval)/3.9));
$probvalue = $testsigstren*$testweight*(10 - $londiff);

       If you download all of the files and follow the ReadMe.txt
instructions for how to organize a directory where the files can be stored
and run, then if you have Perl running on your computer the ETDPROG.pl
program should run okay under Windows XP and fairly well under Windows 98.
Other operating systems probably need to have some adjustments made to the
ETDPROG.pl file.

       The files that I myself actually use are too large to store at that
Web site.  As far as obtaining the original data, each file is a composite
of a number of different types of data.  For instance, the main earthquake
data file contains actual earthquake data (mostly NEIS) and specially
processed sun, moon, ocean tide, and Solid Earth Tide data.  At the moment,
the complete files including the EM signal data file have to be obtained by
e-mail from me (no charge).  An important goal of this project is to have
all of them stored at a Web site for downloads.  Also, I collect the
EM signal data myself.  But if this project ever gets off the ground
those types of data will hopefully become available for free from
many sources around the world.

       Finally, remember as I said earlier, I have been working on this
project for 15 years.  And it covers a lot of territory.  A detailed
discussion of it would fill a small book!