Wheel-reinvention with Python

Michael Hoffman cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid
Fri Jul 29 12:06:26 EDT 2005

Torsten Bronger wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> Michael Hoffman <cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid> writes:
>

>>Dark Cowherd wrote:
>>

>>>GUI, Web development, Application Framework - it is shambles.
>>
>>Yeah, I agree. When I finally make that GUI application I still
>>don't know whether I am going to use wx or PyGTK.
>
> I agree, too, although I can only talk about GUI toolkits.  At first
> one thinks "well, perfect, I have the choice between four great GUI
> systems".  However, except for very special demands, there is no
> clear winner.  You start learning one, and immediately wonder
> whether the other might be better.  Although it sounds paradoxical,
> this can be quite frustrating.  After all, most of us don't have the
> energy or motivation to test all candidates thoroughly.

The PEP process can be quite good for whittling this down and getting
the best of all worlds. For example, the current stdlib csv module was
based on three previous modules[1]. We only really need one.

However, since GUI toolkits are so complicated, I wonder if they will
ever be subject to this process.

[1] http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0305.html#existing-modules
--
Michael Hoffman