Wheel-reinvention with Python (was: Ten Essential Development Practices)

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jul 29 11:59:35 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Michael Hoffman <cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid> writes:

> Dark Cowherd wrote:
>
>> GUI, Web development, Application Framework - it is shambles.
>
> Yeah, I agree. When I finally make that GUI application I still
> don't know whether I am going to use wx or PyGTK.

I agree, too, although I can only talk about GUI toolkits.  At first
one thinks "well, perfect, I have the choice between four great GUI
systems".  However, except for very special demands, there is no
clear winner.  You start learning one, and immediately wonder
whether the other might be better.  Although it sounds paradoxical,
this can be quite frustrating.  After all, most of us don't have the
energy or motivation to test all candidates thoroughly.

Besides, development resources are shared between all projects.
This is especially sad with regard to IDEs.  There are even more
IDEs/dialog editors/widget builders than Toolkits, none of them
being mature.

>> Is there some place to discuss topics like this? Is this the right place?
>
> Sure, although you might want to start a new thread. ;)

At least a new subject ...

Tschö,
Torsten.