Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jul 30 02:54:59 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> writes:

> The choice is GUI toolkits is largely seperate from
> Python. Consider that they are just bindings to libraries that are
> developed completely seperate of the language. GUI is should be
> seperate from the language, and thus not bound to same
> expectations and desires as elements of the language itself.

I disagree.  A modern language must provide a convenient and
well-embedded way to write GUI applications.  This is not a sign of
decadence, but a very good promotional argument.  Delphi and first
and foremost VB are extremely popular, and it's sad to see that
Python could get a lot more of the cake if the efforts for IDEs and
toolkits were somewhat streamlined.  Besides, all other already good
aspects of Python wouldn't suffer at all.

Tkinter fits into Python very well and it is very easily (if not
trivially) accessible for users of our applications.  People
complain about non-native look-and-feel on Windows, but sorry, I
simply find it unacceptably ugly on all platforms.  Don't
misunderstand me: I don't like neat GUI effects just for the sake of
it but Tkinter makes an outdated impression on the end-user.

I've been having a closer look at wxPython which is not Pythonic at
all and bad documented.  Probably I'll use it nevertheless.  PyGTK
and PyQt may have their own advantages and disadvantages.

However, in my opinion we don't need yet another binding so thin
that C or C++ is shining through, but a modern replacement for
Tkinter with its Pythonic way of thinking.

Tschö,
Torsten.