Folding in vim

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jul 5 13:31:25 EDT 2005

Sybren Stuvel <sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination> writes:

> Andrea Griffini enlightened us with:
>> - never ever use tabs
>
> I always use one tab for indents, and set my editor to display it as
> four spaces. I like being able to unindent a line by deleting a single
> character. I don't see a reason why _not_ to use tabs, really. As long
> as the use is consistent - I hate those files with an 8-space tab and
> 4-space indent, where they replace two indents with a single tab. For
> me, one indent = one tab. No matter the tab setting, it'll look good.

And so if you're working with someone who uses a different tab stop -
say the traditional 8-space tabs - they'll get code that may well be
unreadable.

If you're the only one dealing with your code, you can keep the use
consistent. As soon as theirs more than one person editing the code,
that pretty much goes out the window. You either mandate a standard -
which is hard for a large group - or you mandate that you don't use
tabs.

        <mike