Yet Another Python Web Programming Question

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Sun Jul 10 16:21:44 EDT 2005

Daniel Bickett enlightened us with:
> It would be a long while before he would find Python, and since that
> time he would have no desire to ever touch PHP again.

My thoughts exactly.

> He would, however, be compelled to write a web application again,
> but in Python now, of course.

Same here :)

> * They required installation (as opposed to, simply, the placement
> of modules), whereas the only pythonic freedom he had on his hosting
> was a folder in his /home/ dir that was in the python system path.

I can't help you here. For instance, if you want to get a proper
performance, you should install something like mod_python to get
Python functionality in Apache.

> Python using CGI, for example, was enough for him until he started
> getting 500 errors that he wasn't sure how to fix.

Check the web server's error logs.

My solution was to take a look at Cheetah. It's a template engine
that's written in Python. I've written a mod_python handler for it so
I can easily create & edit my website using Cheetah as a template
engine. Check out http://www.unrealtower.org/mycheetah if you want to
read more about the handler & other stuff I wrote. Perhaps you can
even help me improve it!

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa