Yet Another Python Web Programming Question

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Sun Jul 10 16:21:32 EDT 2005

Paul Boddie wrote:
> "Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.1558.1120976144.10512.python-list at python.org>...
> > Daniel Bickett wrote:
> > > I neglected to mention an important fact, and that is the
> > > fact that I am limited to Apache, which elminates several
> > > suggestions (that are appreciated none-the-less).
> >
> > Do you have access to mod_python, mod_rewrite, FastCGI, or
> > SCGI? Then CherryPy 2.1 is still a great option for you with
> > Apache:
> > http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/WSGIServers
> > http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/BehindApache
>
> According to the "quick facts" page "CherryPy powered web
> applications are in fact stand-alone Python applications embedding
> their own multi-threaded web server", suggesting that if the hosting
> environment is "limited to Apache" and if this can also be taken to
> mean that the environment doesn't permit long-running server processes
> apart from Apache, then CherryPy isn't likely to be suitable.

Thanks for pointing that out; that page was out of date, and has now
been corrected: http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/CherryPyQuickFacts .
CherryPy 2.1 apps can be deployed using Apache (via mod_python) or IIS
(via ASP) as the webserver *without* running the webserver built into
CherryPy. In fact, CherryPy should work with any WSGI-capable webserver,
and be deployable in a wide variety of hosting environments with no
changes to your application code.

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries