PyGTK or wxPython (not a flame war) on Windows

Marek Kubica pythonmailing at web.de
Sun Jul 24 15:18:21 EDT 2005

Hi!

Am Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:47:30 +0200 schrieb Torsten Bronger:

> Is PyGTK more Pythonic by the way?  I had a look at wxPython
> yesterday and didn't like that it has been brought into the Python
> world nearly unchanged.  You can see its non-Python origin clearly.
> How does PyGTK feel in this respect?
Well.. I'd say, PyGTK is still quite like GTK in C. There are some nice
features like iterators in treeviews but some things are IMHO unneccesary
difficult and much more elegant in wx.

I have started GUIs in Python with wx, but after a short time I was annoyed
how many things were buggy. I don't know why, but I fell from one bug to
the other while programming one application. Then, I tried GTK on Windows,
because I know GTK+ 2 a bit liked it. First I was very impressed, the
documentation (Tutorial + Reference + FAQ) was after wxPy 2.4.x _very_
impressive and things which were difficult in wxPy were easy in PyGTK. But
after some time I realized some other things were complicated in PyGTK.

You see, there is no non-plus-ultra GUI library and my best advice is to
test it yourself to see which one fits your needs best.

I hope a Qt4 compatible PyQt will be released soon, I'm curious about the
new Qt4, which is free for GPL-only software on Windows.

greets,
Marek