POP3 and "seen" flag

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at zoran.com
Sun Jul 3 01:47:59 EDT 2005

Hello Peter,

> > Is there a way to know in a POP session of a message was seen (old) or not
> > (new)?
>
> Define "seen".  It could be interpreted as either "TOP" or "RETR" having
> been executing for a message, or something like "this client has seen
> this message before" ... not sure what you mean.
That the message have been read (RETR executed on it). The "seen flag" is
taken from 'retr' documentation at
http://docs.python.org/lib/pop3-objects.html.

> In any case, the short answer is "no".
Good to know :-)

> The longer answer is that _some_ POP3 servers provide non-standard
> support for this by doing things like adding a special header to the
> message, things like "X-Seen", which can be seen by using the TOP
> command.  This sort of thing is entirely non-standard and you can't rely
> on it in general, AFAIK.
No such luck for me.

> A better approach would be to have your client software track the
> Message-ID header, but something tells me you are interpreting "seen" as
> meaning "anyone has RETRed the message", so that won't work either.
You're right.
I'm trying to delete only read messages from Exchange server, *another*
client is used for reading. (It's a long story involving me and IT here
...)

Bye.
Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at zoran.com>
http://tebeka.bizhat.com
The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys