Lots of pdf files

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu Jul 21 06:14:43 EDT 2005

Greg Lindstrom wrote:

> I'm running Python 2.3 on a Linux system and have lots (about 2000)
> files in pdf format to print each day.  If I just wind up and fire all
> the files at the printer at once (as 2000 separate print jobs), the
> print server throws a fit and our system admin comes down and slaps me
> around for a few minutes (which, I guess, is fair).
>
> There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.
> I could, for example, merge all of the files for a particular provider
> into one pdf for that provider and then print it (or, better
> yet...encrypt it and ship it!), but I do not see a way.

A quick Google search turns up lots of program which claim to merge PDFs
files. e.g. http://www.verypdf.com/pdfpg/index.html (for a mere $29.90,
except it is GPL'd so I'm not sure what the money is for).

Or perhaps PDCAT, http://www.pdf-tools.com/asp/products.asp?name=CLE for
$150, or $250 if you want to be able to encrypt the output and ship it.