Wheel-reinvention with Python

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sun Jul 31 11:23:07 EDT 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 10:32, Torsten Bronger wrote:

> > I know I'm diving into this conversation late, and I haven't read
> > the whole thread, but has someone yet mentioned the "anygui"
> > project?  This has stalled, but it was IMHO a good idea.
>
> > I don't know exactly why this project died, but I'd start with a
> Pythonic variant of wxPython.  I've read many discussions about the
> people who didn't like the wxPython's C++ style, so there are
> chances to get fellow developers and users.  You must reach the
> critical mass quickly in order to get a survivable project, and
> being not too far away from an existing one is a good stating point.
>
> Possibly Dabo manages such a thing.

 We certainly are striving for such a goal. And while Dabo only supports
wxPython now, we've designed the UI layer so that it is toolkit-agnostic (in
theory, at least). After we have a full, robust implementation using
wxPython, we then plan on implementing Tkinter and Qt, assuming that there is
demand for those toolkits. But since UIs are incredibly complex beasts, we've
chosen to tackle one at a time, and after looking at them all and considering
different issues, we chose wxPython as the best toolkit for creating
platform-independent apps.

--

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com