Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Jul 31 12:12:06 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> writes:
>
>> But since UIs are incredibly complex beasts, we've chosen to
>> tackle one at a time, and after looking at them all and
>> considering different issues, we chose wxPython as the best
>> toolkit for creating platform-independent apps.
>
> How on earth did you decide that, since tkinter actually runs out
> of the box when you install Python on most platforms, and wxPython
> doesn't?

I can't really understand your hostility towards non-Tkinter
toolkits.  In the case of wxPython, it's part of SUSE, which is
probably also true for Fedora and Mandriva.  Installing is as easy
as selecting a checkbox.  This covers a very great deal of Linux
users.  On Windows you have to call an exe file.

Tschö,
Torsten.