Detecting computers on network

Sandeep Arya d0153030 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:35:49 EDT 2005

Hello dear

I had sent my earlier queries regarding same topic. However just to be more
specific this time..

I just wann try to detect that if there are some ip address in a list of
some ip address alive or not.

How can i do this?

Shall i try to connect them and check that my connection is working or not?
If working than means alive .... (connection based)

SHalle i send some buffer value (whatever) to socket using sendto(...) and
then checking for return value? (Connectionless)

Well for me it doesnot matter that i should have connection or
connectionless.. I just wannn  know who are alive in my LAN?

This application will be for my computers in lan. not for maganetwork.

LAN will have just some bridges and computers.

i need to detect tham all..

however i doesnot matter that all of them replies or not. I just wann know
that atleast some of them reply. Rest i will take care of...

Sandeep