Detecting computers on network

Peter Tillotson none at no.chance
Fri Jul 22 07:45:11 EDT 2005

You could use a sniffer in promiscuous mode. pypcap -- or something
like. This will record every packet seen by your network card. Whether
is will work depends on whether you are on a true braodcast network.

if a box is on and completely inactive you'll never see it, but most
boxes do something. Windows boxes positively shout about there presence :-)

baically this is pasive nmap, nmap will try to open a tcp or udp
connection on every  machine. your going to generat a lot of traffic.

If you've got access to the boxes enabling ICMP and using that is the
proper way.