What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs. GPL/LGPL)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Jul 25 05:55:54 EDT 2005

Volker Grabsch wrote:

> I noticed that many packages in the PyPI are using the PSF License.
> Does this have a special reason?

Personally I used Python style license to express that you can do with
some of my modules exactly what you can do with Python itself.

> So if it is complicated to include an LGPL'ed Python library in the
> Python standard libraries, I'd release it under PSF License.

Unfortunately the Python style license is not suitable to reach that goal.

Recommended reading:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

> Also, a quick overview about the various licenses would be nice.

Maybe biased:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Ciao, Michael.