complex numbers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:37:47 EST 2005

"It's me" <itsme at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ggcFd.10634$5R.9228 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Precisely.   One have to convert complex number into vectors, and vector
> of
> complex numbers into vector of vectors, list of complex numbers into list
> of
> vectors, ...., you get the idea.

No, one would have a class with all the appropriate special methods
defined.  This is what people did before complex was made built-in.  The
advantage of builtin-ness is being able to write complex literals: 1 + 1j,
etc, instead of Complex(1,1).  This and speed were two reasons to make
complex numbers builtin.

The new decimal type, in spite of being builtin (written in C), has the
same 'problem' because decimal literals were alread being converted to
binary floating point.  Perhaps some day we might have 1.23d to indicate
conversion to decimal instead.  Or perhaps 1.23 will become a decimal and
1.23f a float.

Terry J. Reedy