[OT] Good C++ book for a Python programmer

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sat Jan 22 12:55:49 EST 2005

    Rick> I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good C++
    Rick> book, with "good" being defined from the perspective of a
    Rick> Python programmer. I

A good C++ book from the perspective of a Python programmer would be
one proclaiming that C++ is deprecated as a language, and it has
become illegal to develop software with it.

    Rick> realize that there isn't a book titled "C++ for Python
    Rick> Programmers", but has anyone found one that they think goes
    Rick> particularly well with the Python way?

I don't think that's possible, considering the nature of the
language. Templates are closest to the Python way as far as C++
technologies go, but they are very unpythonic in their complexity.

    Rick> I'm asking this because evidently the C++ standard has
    Rick> changed a bit since 1994, when I bought my books. Who knew
    Rick> that fstream was deprecated?

Stroustrup book, already mentioned by others, is the one if you just
need a "refresh" your knowledge. "Effective C++" and "More effective
C++" are also great to learn about all the nasty gotchas that your
Python experience might make you neglect. They are also certain to
deepen your appreciation of Python ;-).

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb