[OT] Good C++ book for a Python programmer

Wed Jan 19 17:37:05 EST 2005

John Hunter wrote:

>     Philippe> I suggest you google 'C++ tutorial' Regards,
>
> Stroustup's "The C++ Programming Language" is the best C++ book I've
> read.  It is at a fairly high level, and I already had read several
> C++ books before reading it, so it may be tough sledding.  But I would
> try this first since you are an experienced programmer and know OO
> concepts, and if it fails to satisfy try something lighter.
> Unfortunately, I didn't like any of the other kinder, gentler overview
> books I read on C++, so can't really recommend anything along those
> lines, though I'm sure they are out there.
>
> JDH

For a rationale as to why the language developed the way it did, you
can read Stroustrup's "The Design and Evolution of C++".  This is no
good for learning the language, but it might be a good library borrow
to find out why the language is the way it is.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org