The Industry choice

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Fri Jan 7 12:15:09 EST 2005

On 6 Jan 2005 19:01:46 -0500, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

>>Note that the so-called 'viral' nature of GPL code only applies to
>>*modifications you make* to the GPL software.  The *only* way in which
>>your code can be 'infected' by the GPL is if you copy GPL source.

>That's not true -- consider linking to a GPL library.

Will someone please explain to me in simple terms what's
the difference between linking to LGPLed library and linking
to GPLed library - obviously in terms of consequences of
what happens to _your_ source code?

Because if there isn't any, why bother with distinguishing
between the two?

Oh, and by the way - since Python bytecode can be relatively
easily decompiled to source, could it interpreted to "really"
count as source code and not binary? What are the consequences
of releasing code  _written in Python_  as GPLed?

Licenses are frigging cans of worms..

--
It's a man's life in a Python Programming Association.