The Industry choice

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Jan 7 15:06:42 EST 2005

Bulba! wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2005 19:01:46 -0500, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>

>>>Note that the so-called 'viral' nature of GPL code only applies to
>>>*modifications you make* to the GPL software.  The *only* way in which
>>>your code can be 'infected' by the GPL is if you copy GPL source.
>

>>That's not true -- consider linking to a GPL library.
>

> Will someone please explain to me in simple terms what's
> the difference between linking to LGPLed library and linking
> to GPLed library - obviously in terms of consequences of
> what happens to _your_ source code?
>
> Because if there isn't any, why bother with distinguishing
> between the two?

Releasing a product in which your code is linked together with GPL'ed
code requires that your code also be GPL'ed.  The GPL goes to some
lengths to define what exactly "linked together" means.

Releasing a product in which your code is linked together with LGPL'ed
code does *not* require that your code also be (L)GPL'ed.  Changes to
the core library must still be released under (L)GPL, but application
code which merely *uses* the library does not.  (I've forgotten, now,
exactly how LGPL defines this distinction...)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International