Port blocking

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 10 20:00:33 EST 2005

Mark Carter wrote:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>> Mark Carter <cartermark46 at ukmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Supposing I decide to write a server-side application using something
>>> like corba or pyro.
>

>> Usually you wouldn't run a public corba or pyro service over the
>> internet.  You'd use something like XMLRPC over HTTP port 80 partly
>> for the precise purpose of not getting blocked by firewalls.
>

> Although, when you think about it, it kinda defeats the purposes of
> firewalls. Not that I'm criticising you personally, you understand.

Yet another brilliant Microsoft marketing concept: "Shit, these bloody
firewalls are getting in the way of our new half-baked ideas for
application architectures to replace all that funky not-invented-here
open source stuff we can't charge money for. Let's design something that
completely screws up existing firewall strategies, then we can charge
people extra to firewall the new stuff after we've hooked them all on
yet another inferior execution of existing ideas".

>>> Also, is there a good tool for writing database UIs?
>>

>> Yes, quite a few.
>

> Ah yes, but is there really? For example, I did a search of the TOC of
> GTK+ Reference Manual:
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/index.html
> for the word "data", and there's apparently no widget which is
> explicitly tied to databases. So in GTKs case, for instance, it looks
> like one has to roll one's own solution, rather than just using one out
> of the box.

There isn't, IMHO, anything with the polish of (say) Microsoft Access,
or even Microsoft SQL Server's less brilliant interfaces. Some things
Microsoft *can* do well, it's a shame they didn't just stick to the
knitting.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119