Port blocking

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Mon Jan 10 06:55:11 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Mark Carter <cartermark46 at ukmail.com> writes:
>
>>Supposing I decide to write a server-side application using something
>>like corba or pyro.

> Usually you wouldn't run a public corba or pyro service over the
> internet.  You'd use something like XMLRPC over HTTP port 80 partly
> for the precise purpose of not getting blocked by firewalls.

Although, when you think about it, it kinda defeats the purposes of
firewalls. Not that I'm criticising you personally, you understand.

>>Also, is there a good tool for writing database UIs?
>

> Yes, quite a few.

Ah yes, but is there really? For example, I did a search of the TOC of
GTK+ Reference Manual:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/index.html
for the word "data", and there's apparently no widget which is
explicitly tied to databases. So in GTKs case, for instance, it looks
like one has to roll one's own solution, rather than just using one out
of the box.