a question

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 19 11:27:14 EST 2005

Nader Emami wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> I have a long command in Unix and I have to use os.system(cmd)
> statement. I do the following:
>
> cmd = '%s/mos user wmarch, cd /fa/wm/%s/%s, mkdir %s, put %s, chmod 644
> %s' % (mosbin, jaar, filetype, filetype)
>     status = os.system(cmd)
>

> This is not very clear, and I have to break this long line in two
> segment by means of the next character '\' :
> cmd = '%s/mos user wmarch, cd /fa/wm/%s/%s, mkdir %s, put %s, \
>        chmod 644 %s' % (mosbin, jaar, filetype, filetype)
>
> But in this case I get a syntax error! I don't know how I can solve this
> problem. Could somebody tell me about this?

The error you get is NOT a syntax error:

  >>> cmd = '%s format %s \
  ... over %d lines' % ('my', 'string', 2)
  >>> cmd
'my format string over 2 lines'

The interpreter is probably complaining because it needs six values to
fill out the format and you only provided four.

In future, by the way, always include the error message in such posts!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119