The Industry choice

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Jan 1 19:23:43 EST 2005

In article <7xacrs230c.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>I was pretty skeptical of Java's checked exceptions when I first used
>them but have been coming around about them.  There's just been too
>many times when I wrote something in Python that crashed because some
>lower-level function raised an exception that the upper level hadn't
>been expecting, after the program had been in use for a while.  I'd
>sure rather find out about that at compile time.

That's funny -- Bruce Eckel talks about how he used to love checked
exceptions but has come to regard them as the horror that they are.
I've learned to just write "throws Exception" at the declaration of
every method.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis