The Industry choice

beliavsky at aol.com beliavsky at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 18:01:31 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
>I don't find static type declarations to have much cost. It's just a
>few more keystrokes. I'm open to persuasion about whether they have
>benefit.

Overall I agree with you and would like to have OPTIONAL static type
declarations in Python, as has often been discussed. But without
facilities for generic programming, such as templates in C++, static
type declarations can force one to duplicate a LOT of code, with one
sorting routine each for integer, floats, strings, etc. Some algorithms
are type invariant, and Python is a concise language for expressing
those algorithms.