Continuations Based Web Framework - Seaside.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Jan 2 21:50:58 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> I did actually do some sort-of-related work in this area, which I
> presented at PyCon DC 2004 - you can access the paper at
>
>    http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/18/Setting_A_Context.pdf
>
> An audience member mentioned the Smalltalk and Scheme-based work on web
> continuation frameworks, and I was sorry my answer at the time seemed
> unduly dismissive. There are some interesting similarities, and though
> my own implementation is decidedly clunky I like to think the paper
> explains some of the advantages of maintaining state and why the "back"
> button is an obnoxious anachronism :-)

I think the technique you talked about is an easier way to achieve a
similar goal as the continuation-based frameworks.  While using
continuations for web applications is an interesting idea, I don't think
it's been shown to be successful.  It's certainly not something I'd want
to implement on Python (even given the actual features to make it
possible), and from what I've read of the Ruby projects that use it
(Borges and Wee?), they aren't ready to implement production
applications either.  The technique you present could be implemented on
any framework, right now, with the expectation that it would work in a
production situation.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org