Continuations Based Web Framework - Seaside.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 3 14:37:42 EST 2005

Ian Bicking wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> I did actually do some sort-of-related work in this area, which I
>> presented at PyCon DC 2004 - you can access the paper at
>>
>>    http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/18/Setting_A_Context.pdf
>>
>> An audience member mentioned the Smalltalk and Scheme-based work on
>> web continuation frameworks, and I was sorry my answer at the time
>> seemed unduly dismissive. There are some interesting similarities, and
>> though my own implementation is decidedly clunky I like to think the
>> paper explains some of the advantages of maintaining state and why the
>> "back" button is an obnoxious anachronism :-)
>

> I think the technique you talked about is an easier way to achieve a
> similar goal as the continuation-based frameworks.  While using
> continuations for web applications is an interesting idea, I don't think
> it's been shown to be successful.  It's certainly not something I'd want
> to implement on Python (even given the actual features to make it
> possible), and from what I've read of the Ruby projects that use it
> (Borges and Wee?), they aren't ready to implement production
> applications either.  The technique you present could be implemented on
> any framework, right now, with the expectation that it would work in a
> production situation.

That's true, but there's no denying it's clunky, and there are a few
problems with it. Despite that, I am still persisting with developemnt,
albeit slowly due to lack of time, and hope to have something further to
report.

It's the *ideas* that are important, though, rather than the
implementation, and my initial hope was to publicise the weakness of
statelessness on the web as applications become more complex.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119