map in Python

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Fri Jan 21 07:52:18 EST 2005

You have three ways to do what you want :

First wayt is to use lambda. Then, you want to write :

 >>> map(lambda x: re.sub("[a-z]", "", x), test)

Second is to use regular named function :

 >>> def remove_letters( s ):
...   re.sub("[a-z]", "", s)
 >>> map(remove_letters, test)

A third way would be to use the "pseudo-currying" described there :
http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecoratorLibrary

In fact, you need a small generalisation :

 >>> class curried(object):
...   def __init__(self, func, *a, **kw):
...     self.func = func
...     self.args = a
...     self.kwords = kw
...   def __call__(self, *a, **kw):
...     args = self.args + a
...     kwords = dict(self.kwords)
...     kwords.update(kw)
...     if len(args)+len(kwords) < self.func.func_code.co_argcount:
...       return curried(self.func, *args, **kwords)
...     else:
...       return self.func(*args, **kwords)

The difference is you can handle the kwords with that version !
Then you want to write this :

 >>> curried_sub = curried(re.sub)
 >>> map(curried_sub("[a-z]", "", count=0), test)

My opinion is : the simplest and best solution more "pythonic" is the
second one ! The third one is interesting but work only for functions
written in Python ! (Hopefully the re.sub function is written in
Python). The biggest problem with the first one is that lambda are
planned to disappear in future Python versions ...

Pierre