Integration with java (Jpype vs. JPE)

Joachim Boomberschloss boomberschloss at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 11:03:57 EST 2005

Thanks for the info. I understand now the background
and possibilities, but would like to refine my query:
As I see it, writing a hybrid Java/Python application
faces approximately three possibilities: (i) write the
core in Java and do some scripting with Jython, (ii)
write independent code in Java and in Python, and
integrate using JPype (or similar), using Python also
as a glue layer, (iii) write independent code in Java
and in Python, and integrate using a neutral
technology.

Since much of the code in my project is already
written, I am considering options ii and iii. This is
how I perceive the work required in each case:

Option ii would enable writing independent packages in
Python and Java, and will require a glue layer in
Python consisting of general administration and
wrappers around Java packages written using JPype. I
don't yet have a clear perception of how difficult it
would be to make such wrappers, or to put my faith in
JPype at this stage.

Option iii would also enable writing independent
packages in Python and Java, but its glue layer will
be distributed between Python and Java using Jython
and Pyro (I chose Pyro because it works in both
CPython and Jython, and can be used to communicate
between them). This would (to the best of my
understanding) enable a smoother interface between
Java and Python, but will probably complicate somewhat
the glue layer, both because it would use networking
to communicate, and because it would probably involve
taking special measures to overcome the differences
between CPython and Jython (since the glue layer will
need to run on both of them).

Joe.