The Industry choice

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Sun Jan 2 12:23:13 EST 2005

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:08:02 GMT, claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird)
wrote:
>Let me add a cautionary note, though:  Big Companies,
>including Oracle, Software AG, IBM, Cisco, and so on, have
>adopted Tcl over and over.  All of them still rely on Tcl
>for crucial products.  All of them also have employees who
>sincerely wonder, "Tcl?  Isn't that dead?"

>I offer this as a counter-example to the belief that Adop-
>tion by a heavyweight necessarily results in widespread
>acceptance.

It's a quiet adoption. It's not a firework show a la Java
combined with blowing all those truckloads of money on
it (I've read this good comment in one of the IT periodicals
that in future Java will be cited as an example of work of
genius - not a genius of computing, though, but of marketing).

There is a rational element in this craziness: people
around watch and see that $$$ has been sunk in
this, so they know that this who sank all those $$$
has very, very much of motivation not to let this
thing wither away.  No guarantee, of course, but a
much better chance they just won't drop it.

The problem of  Python is not that it's not used, but
because some company like IBM didn't decide to blow
$1 bln on it or smth. Using it alone and even announcing
it is not enough. "put your money where your mouth
is", or so the thinking goes.

--
It's a man's life in a Python Programming Association.