The Industry choice

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jan 2 13:09:27 EST 2005

claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:

> Let me add a cautionary note, though:  Big Companies,
> including Oracle, Software AG, IBM, Cisco, and so on, have
> adopted Tcl over and over.  All of them still rely on Tcl
> for crucial products.  All of them also have employees who
> sincerely wonder, "Tcl?  Isn't that dead?"

A lot of people laugh at Tcl, but it's really a very useful tool.  In my
last job, we did a major component of our product (SNMP-based network
management package) in Tcl, probably on the order of 10 kloc.  It has
its limitations, but it's very easy to learn, very easy to embed and
extend, and reasonably fast.  It certainly blows away shell scripting.

Around here, AOL/Moviephone has been trolling for years for Tcl people;
I guess that counts as a big company.