Python evolution: Unease

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:05:47 EST 2005

On 5 Jan 2005 19:31:53 -0800, michele.simionato at gmail.com
<michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:
> John Roth:
> > The bottom line is that I'm not going to be writing any
> > extensive pieces of Python documentation. My time
> > is better spent elsewhere.
>
> Well, a couple of years ago I realized that some documentation on the
> MRO
> was missing. I wrote a document in reST, posted here, and Guido put it
> on
> python.org. It was as easy as it sounds. So I don't see your problem.
>
> Dave Kulhman wrote some utility to convert reST in latex using the same
> style of the standard library docs; I haven't used it myself, but you
> may check
> with him: http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/

Couldn't a better document-writing interface be implemented? This is
the kind of stuff Zope & Plone are used for on a daily basis; not to
mention other countless web frameworks & CMS available in Python. Even
a simple automated service to process & publish reST or SGML files
would be better than requiring aspiring Python doc writers to install
the full toolchain, as pointed out. But, whatever it is (and that's a
difficult choice, politically speaking), it should be hosted on the
main Python site... because that's the place where people look for
info first place.

> P.S. since you cite descriptors, what's wrong with Raimond Hetting
> documentation?
> http://users.rcn.com/python/download/Descriptor.htm
>
> The only problem I see is that it is not integrated with the official
> docs, but this is a
> minor issue, I think.

The docs are great, but it took me some time to find them out after
searching inside Python docs. This is not a minor issue IMHO.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com