What YAML engine do you use?

rm rm at rm.net
Sat Jan 22 14:31:34 EST 2005

Doug Holton wrote:

> What do you expect?  YAML is designed for humans to use, XML is not.
> YAML also hasn't had the backing and huge community behind it like XML.
> XML sucks for people to have to write in, but is straightforward to
> parse.  The consequence is hordes of invalid XML files, leading to
> necessary hacks like the mark pilgrim's universal rss parser.  YAML
> flips the problem around, making it harder perhaps to implement a
> universal parser, but better for the end-user who has to actually use
> it.  More people need to work on improving the YAML spec and
> implementing better YAML parsers.  We've got too many XML parsers as it is.

100% right on, stuff (like this)? should be easy on the users, and if
possible, on the developers, not the other way around. But developers
come second. Now, I didn't check the specs, they might be difficult,
they might be incorrect, maybe their stated goal is not reached with
this implementation of their idea. But I'd love to see a generic,
pythonic data format.

bye,
rm