[perl-python] 20050115, for statement

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jan 16 21:13:12 EST 2005

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> (Hell, five days into Python and some people are already producing working
> Backgammon games (I think that was the post last week), and Xah Lee here
> is still on for loops! Woo! Go Xah!)

Mah Jongg, actually (if we're thinking of the same post), which
name is often applied in the world of computer games to a what
amounts to the old game of "Concentration" (rather than the real
Mah Jongg which bears no more resemblance to the computerized
version than Bridge bears to Go Fish).  The player merely turns
over cards/tiles two at a time and any identical pairs are removed.
A backgammon game, with the computer actually playing against a
human and all the logic that entails, would be much more sophisticated,
and rather more work.

...not to diminish the impressiveness of someone new to Python
building a visually attractive GUI application in only a few days
and delivering it to the web which in several ways is far more
than I've contributed in over five years. ;-)  (Doffs hat to the
former newbie who achieved this.)

-Peter