recommended way of generating HTML from Python

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 15:23:39 EST 2005

Michele Simionato wrote:

> What is the recommended way of generating HTML from Python? I know of
> HTMLGen and of
> few recipes in the Cookbook, but is there something which is more or
> less standard?

I'm also an htmlgen user, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth, and the
installation is not very clean (pre-distutils).  I keep an eye out for
alternatives, here's one (which I haven't looked at yet):

######
htmldata 1.0.6 is available.

http://oregonstate.edu/~barnesc/htmldata/

The htmldata module allows one to translate HTML
documents back and forth to list data structures.
This allows for programmatic reading and writing
of HTML documents, with much flexibility.

######

I could swear that I also saw another recent email announcing an htmlgen
alternative, but no amount of googling or digging through my email could turn
it up.  I think it was in the last month or so, and probably on the
python-announce list, but looking through the archives I can't find it.  Maybe
my memory is playing tricks on me.

> Also, are there plans to include a module for HTML generation in the
> standard library?
> I really would like to see some standardization in this area.

I would too.  The HTMLgen model is quite nice and clean (at least for my simple
uses), but I'd use anything, as long as it's included by default and supported.

Cheers,